The Life and Projects of An Avid Hobbyist

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saved by Jo-Ann's Fabric

I would not consider myself a fabric/craft snob by any stretch.  While I have yet to incorporate thrift shopping into my crafts, I frequently check out what my local thrift stores have to offer.  I am, however, not partial to large chains.  I like my fabric stores, moderately-sized like here and here, where the staff use the products and know the craft.  I tend to not find that at the larger stores.

So imagine my surprise when I, desperate for a project but unable to travel the 45 minutes one way for the nearest to me quilt shop (that meets my criteria), begrudgingly went to the local Jo-Ann's Fabric.  I don't think I've ever been in a Jo-Ann's this big.  I mean huge-so huge, there is an independent sewing machine dealer inside of it.

I was desperate and I was satisfied.  I bought several items to get me started on what will be my next long-term quilting project.  It's a 1" hand-pieced hexagon quilt top...or at least it will be.  I have been following Texas Freckles blog with the very helpful videos and tips.

 I might not go insane on this family vacation/visit after all. 

I don't know how big the finished quilt will be, but I like the idea of piecing and then laying them out in a gradual color spectrum.  The only problem with that strategy is that you have to piece a whole heap-a-hexes in order to get the color layout right.  Let me get piecing and see how this goes.  ~ksp

1 comment:

Donna Lee said...

I like the idea of hex shaped pieces in a graduating color. I can't wait to see it.

JoAnn's isn't one of my favorite stores either but unfortunately, it's one of the only places to buy fabrics locally (unless I go to fabric row in Philadelphia).