The Life and Projects of An Avid Hobbyist

Saturday, July 27, 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?

So, I have been gardening this season and it's been a real blast.  There is a local-to-me community garden at Oakeside Bloomfield Cultural Center.  My two-plot nirvana has been a blast to work.  I did some inter-planting, companion planting and succession planting all at the same time (more on all of that later).
Mid Garden
Here one of plots at the beginning of June


IMG_3828
Here is the other


And again at the beginning of July...can you say "weeds"?

IMG_3845
One of my many rows of cabbage...and a fair amount of weeds

 Cabbage Close Up
A Cabbage Close Up

This year I had particularly great luck with cabbage which is a good thing because I love cabbage in many forms...Think Bubba (from Forrest Gump talking about shrimp...steamed cabbage, boiled cabbage, kimchi, sauerkraut, sauteed cabbage...)

I used bone meal and a slow release organic fertilizer (nothing really special) coupled with some good rains and full sun, I ended up with a bumper crop. I grew lots of other things like tomatoes and potatoes and lots of onions, swiss chard, and even some herbs...

I really enjoy gardening and this was a really good season so far.

Anyone else gardening this summer?

No comments: