The Life and Projects of An Avid Hobbyist

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Switching Gears...*

Bonjour et amis bienvenus! This month I have the great fortune of combining two hobbies that I love very much...cycling and knitting...

Le 5 juillet le Tour De la France a commencé (this exhausts my knowledge of the French language...this blog post will continue in English...). It also marked the beginning of the 2008 Tour de France Knit Along!

I chose the "King of the Mountains" Polka Dot Jersey - Silence Lotto Team. Our fearless leader is Donna. In this group, each participant chooses a project that is a challenge. Most importantly, it does not need to be finished before the end of the Tour.

What's my challenge?...I am glad you asked... a stole using cobweb yarn.

What pattern are you going to use? You ask all the right questions; I'm using Eunny Jang's Print O' the Wave stole (Ravelry link). In this beautiful cob web Baruffa Fa Re in ice-blue...it's like a 1,400 yard tall glass of [Caribbean blue ocean] water.

While I've always been an avid cyclist, this year has marked more riding then I've done in a while. In addition to riding around the neighborhood for fun/exercise, in early May, my father and I completed the 2008 Bike New York - 5 borough ride...

Here is a picture of me sweating it out...rough, I know...


The ride was a bit stop-and-go and several people got hurt, but overall it was a good experience. That Verrazano-Narrows Bridge was horrible and it was at the END of the ride. Still, in total, it was not as miserable as my face suggests. This photo demonstrates that I was ill-prepared by not having sunglasses or sunblock (as evidence by the subsequent sunburn).

This was also the Sunday after I drove down to 2008 Maryland Sheep and Wool ...trying to get too much into one weekend...the story of my life.

*...pun intended.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Je suis la plume de mon oncle. Cobweb lace! You are a bolder knitter than I. Love the watery blue yarn. Purty. I rode bikes with my son up int he Adirondacks this weekend and my legs are killing me!

Ina said...

Allons-y! I'm going for the Maillot Vert on Team CSC - Shetsoie for me.