In my household growing up red currants were not a commonly used fruit. I pulled out my great-Nana's cookbook and did some tinkering in the kitchen. The end result was not a ribbon winner at the fair, but a tasty jelly nonetheless...enjoy! ~ksp
Spiced Currant JellyIngredients
• 4 pounds fresh red currants
• 1 cup water
• 7 cups white sugar
• 4 fluid ounces liquid fruit pectin
• 1 tsp ground cardamom
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp ground allspice
- Place the currants into a large pot, and crush.
- Pour in 1 cup of water, and bring to a boil.
- After boiling, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spice mix and stir.
- Process juice through jelly cloth or cheese cloth, and measure out 5 cups of the juice.
- Bring juice to boil in large pot, and slowly stir in the sugar. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat, and stir in the liquid pectin. Return to a full rolling boil, and allow to boil for 1 minute.
- Ladle or pour into sterile 1/2 pint jars, filling to within 1/2 inch of the top.
- Process in a hot-water bath of simmering water for 10 minutes. Adjust time for your elevation.