The Life and Projects of An Avid Hobbyist

Monday, August 2, 2010

Sugar...The Final Frontier

These are the voyages of a sugar addict. My mission...to boldly explore ways to cut my sugar intake down (trek anyone?).

Sugar

I consume way too much sugar. 

Not surprisingly, it comes in so many forms.
  1. I drink a lot of fruit juice - there's a special place in my heart for cranberry juice, but I am not particular.  
  2. I drink soda (damn that Pepsi) less often, but when it suits me.  
  3. I have a sweet tooth that won't be stopped - oh, how I love all types of cookies, cakes, tarts etc.  I doesn't help that I am a decent baker too.
  4. Pasta anyone?
  5. Hidden sugars - condiments, coffees, fruit leathers...
So, I'm not going to make a pledge or anything, but I am going to more closely monitor my eating and cutting sugar down.  I'll be reporting back my progress...wish me luck

This week's challenge: Begin to ween myself off of sugar in my coffee.
----
In canning news, I searched high and low for hermetic jars and lucked up when I found some here and here.  I've been using them to develop a Sunshine Pickle recipe.

What are sunshine pickles you ask? They are cucumbers that have been allowed to ferment in a brine in full sunlight for a period of days.

Here are my first 2 jars,  a kirby cucumber in one and a mix (very) hot pepper in the other.  Can't wait to try them.

IMG_3122

3 comments:

Ina said...

Good luck kicking the sugar habit. Do tell how the sunshine pickles turn out.

Donna Lee said...

I have a terible sweet tooth, too. I am trying to cut back on the sugar intake but not move onto sugar substitutes. I hate the aftertaste.

I don't drink a lot of juice (many are too acidic and bother my stomach)and I avoid soda as much as I can but I am a sucker for a good cookie.

Victoria said...

how's that working out for you?