The Life and Projects of An Avid Hobbyist

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Europe 2009...Wimbledon

I am an avid tennis fan. As has been noted on these pages. So needless to say, I was so pleased when I scored damn good seats to Wimbledon's Centre Court. Wimbledon definitely has a different vibe than the US Open. The crowd is just as brisk but a lot more civilized. Everyone seems to know the etiquette of the sport, and more importantly, they're willing to follow the rules. Not once did I hear the chair umpire ask someone to take their seat, or to "quiet down".

So damn civilized.

IMG_2219.JPG
Vinay with Richard Williams on the grounds.

We watched tennis while eating well and drinking loads (English sports venues allow folks to bring their own liquor...who knew?).

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG
Me drinking a pint during the match. I'd rather my cucumber in my salad...not in my drink.

We walked the grounds, It's so interesting to actually be somewhere you've only seen on television. It was surreal to read the wall of champions while watching the champions of my day. Determined to get the entire experience, we sat on Henman Hill and watched a few matches.

We were told that it was untypical weather for England (warm and sunny). In fact, this was the first year of the retractable roof and there was never a need to use it...go figure.

IMG_2256.JPG
Drinking a Pimm's (I'm not a fan) and knitting a sock in the colors of the Union Jack (coincidentally the US flag also)

Loopy on Henman Hill.

Had a great time! ~ksp

No comments: