The Life and Projects of An Avid Hobbyist

Monday, September 1, 2008

In These Tough Economic Times

I know, I know, it has been a long time since I last posted. It's totally my fault. Sometimes I take the whole "hyperactive thing" too far and completely over-extended myself. Let's see...I have a list...I owe you gals/guys a few posts on the following topics: a trip to Philadelphia (still uploading photos), a canning bonanza, some knitting/quilting, the 2008 US Open tennis Championships, a recently-released moving documentary and some garden shots.

But today, as we focus as a nation on the upcoming November elections, and as we stand in the time between the DNC and RNC conventions, I bring you my effort towards restoring fiscal responsibility to this nation.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Created in West Virginia in the 1930's and planted in NJ in May 2008.
Weighing in at 13.2oz in a beautiful rosy pink, I present to you...

The Puryear Garden 2008 - Mortgage Lifter!

Mortgage Lifter

[Wait for applause to end.]

Gardeners, I imagine, are a lot like parents of multiple children. You love all of your plants/children the same (at least that's what you say), but deep in your heart of hearts, you know you have a favorite. (This is complete speculation on my part as I do not have any kids.) The mortgage lifter is my favorite.

I first came to know of this heirloom variety tomato at the 2008 Philadelphia Flower show. It caught my attention first because I was looking for non-red heirloom fruits; second, this plant, like my mother, hails from Wet, Wild, Wonderful West Virginia. According to its lineage, it was created in the 1930's in Logan, West Virginia by a radiator repairman trying to ease the impact of the Great Depression on his family.

This has been a rough summer in the garden. NJ had a cool spring, so I got off to a late start transplanting my seedlings. When summer did finally arrive, it was a wet and humid one (not the best conditions for growing tomatoes). in mid-summer my non-gardening life necessitated some neglect-method gardening and one morning I discovered the damn plant toppled over.

Despite these many setbacks, my (intentionally) low-yield, organically grown tomatoes are coming along nicely. As each of us pays more and more for fuel and food, I am so happy to organically grow local food that is tasty to boot. More garden photos to follow in the coming weeks.

Happy Labor Day to everyone in the US. ~ksp

1 comment:

Kim said...

I have always loved the mortgage lifter. Radiator Charlie was the name of the dude who created this fine mater (I think). So, how are you gonna eat it? Plain, on a BLT, sliced and sprinkled with salt & olive oil. I gotta know!