The Life and Projects of An Avid Hobbyist

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I Love Hot Sauce!

Hi all...long time.  I know. Have I ever told you how much I love hot sauces?

Hot sauce holds a special place in my and my family's life.  There are rights of passage and traditions revolving around hot peppers and spicy food.  For example, as a child, you could use hot sauce on your meals/food after your 13th birthday (I used to sneak Goya hot sauce out of the pantry when no one was looking). As a teenager learned to make the best buffalo wings that you've ever tasted.  My father's grandmother even developed a recipe for "hot barbecue sauce" that is a sworn family secret and is quite spicy with a nice burn.

Its a mix of peppers, spices, vinegars, mustard and catsup and it packs a huge punch...

Here it is in all its glory...

Gaga's Sauce


I served it with a rotisserie chicken as part of a larger spread of state fair wares and it was a huge hit.  In the coming weeks I'm going to try to make an approximation of it from scratch, with actual roasted mustard seeds and slow-cooked (homegrown) peppers...I plan to put it in the NJ State Fair next year.  Since it'll be a variation of my great-grandmother's recipe, I'll be able to publish it and she (hopefully) won't see fit to haunt me from the spirit realm.

I love commercial sauces too.  Top of the list are Grace's Habanero sauce and Rooster (sriracha) Sauce and I think this loverly poster sums it up. ~ksp




2 comments:

Donna Lee said...

Ouch! I can't eat hot foods. I accidently ate part of a jalapeno the other night and couldn't breathe. I don't think food should hurt.....

Alex said...

I've tried this hot sauce my friend brought from Louisiana. It's called Da Bomb and whoa! Did I cry myself to submission! I gulped at least a pitcher of iced water with just a teaspoon of this hot sauce. But this doesn't stave off my love for food. As long as it's edible, I'd go for it!


Alex Staff