The Life and Projects of An Avid Hobbyist

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Coming in from the Cold

I have abstained from adding to the craft swag for some time now.  Of course there are financial benefits to cutting back, but the truth is, I was not producing crafted items.  I was just collecting yarn, fabrics, etc. and it started to feel both wasteful and gluttoness.  I've taken this time (over a year) to focus on first, using what I have and encouraging myself to strive for greater creativity.
Last week, while away on a business trip I took a night and caught up on my blog reading.  Lately, my work has been all-consuming and I threw my back out, combining to rob me of the time to read like I'd like. Hell, its robbed me of my ability to do much of anything...but I digress...

It was then that I read that blog crush Brooklyn Tweed had brought to market a domestically-sourced and processed woolen yarn - SHELTER.  During a conference break, I skipped a workshop ran to Fibre Space in Alexandria, VA.

I am a huge fan of rationalizing (any of my therapists can attest to this) so in order for me to make a purchase I needed to tie it to something practical and immediate. Enter rationalization here:

As fall settles in and winter quickly approaches, I need to line-up my winter woolen accessories. Anyone who has met me in person can attest to my having a big head and a lot of hair, thus making purchasing commercial hats IMPOSSIBLE. 

IMG_3260

I chose two skeins in the brighter of the 2 yellow offerings of SHELTER with the plan to make a tam (w/ requisite pom pom) to coordiate with my "dressy" winter boots.

I searched Ravelry and will start a extra slouchy version of Moss Stitch beret (rav link).  I hope to have a few yards remaining to coordinate into a scarf and/or mitten.  So, as winter fast approaches, I plan to use SHELTER to keep out the cold*.

Boots
You got to coordinate.
I'll keep you posted on my progress.

*Pun intended

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ouch! Sorry about your back. I can empathize how back pain robs you of doing or enjoying pretty much everything.

Looking forward to watching your hat progress.

Paula, the quilter said...

Mmmmm... lovely yarn.